There are formal legal requirements to fulfil before you can get a Divorce in Singapore.
The Family Court will only grant a Divorce if it is convinced that the marriage has ended i.e. that there has been an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. To prove that the marriage has irretrievably or irrevocably broken down, you will need to prove one or more of the following facts:
- Your spouse has committed adultery, and you finds it intolerable to live with your spouse.
- Your spouse has behaved in such a way that the party cannot reasonably be expected to live with your spouse.
- Your spouse has deserted you for a continuous period of at least 2 years.
- You and your spouse have been separated and lived apart for a continuous period of at least 3 years provided your spouse agrees to the Divorce.
- You and your spouse have been separated and lived apart for a continuous period of at least 4 years, if your spouse does not agree to the Divorce.